- 2 pounds potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups 2 % milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
Peel the potatoes and cut into medium pieces. Cover with cold water and cook over medium-high bring to a boil. Cover and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender.
Drain the potatoes and set aside to cool.
In a Dutch oven or soup pot add the butter and onions. Cook over medium heat until the onions are tender about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the flour and stir in until well blended.
Combine the cream and milk; gradually add in stirring constantly.
Cut the potatoes into chunks/cubes and add to the soup. If you want a creamier soup puree the potatoes or reserve about 1 1/2 cup of the potatoes to add after the pureeing some of the potatoes.
Season with the salt, pepper, and celery salt. Cook the soup for 10 to 15 minutes or until it thickens to the desired consistency and the flavors have blended.
Nutrition information is an estimate and may vary with brands of ingredients used.
- Use butter to sautee the onion.
- Cool the potatoes after they have been cooked so they are easy to handle when cubing them.
- Top the soup off with sliced green onions, bacon, cheddar cheese, or your favorite toppings.
- The soup stores well in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.1g | Protein: 9.1g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11.8g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 605mg | Potassium: 882mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9.7g | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 1mg