- 1 large meaty ham bone
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- 8 cups water
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 large potato cubed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
Rinse the split peas and remove any debris
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven add the split peas, ham bone, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
Remove ham bone and set aside to cool. Stir in the vegetables and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce heat cook for 30 minutes or 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender and the soup is the desired consistency.
Remove the meat from the bone, cut the meat into bite-size pieces and return to the soup. Heat until the meat is hot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition information is an estimate and may vary with brands of ingredients used.
- Rinse the split peas before adding them to the soup.
- No need to sautee the vegetables before adding them to the soup.
- Season the soup add seasoning at the end of the cooking time to avoid over seasoning.
- The soup will thicken as it cooks.
- Freeze the soup if it is not eaten in 4 days, in a freezer container.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 51.8g | Protein: 30.3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0.9g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 836mg | Fiber: 16.3g | Sugar: 9.5g | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 4mg