- 3 medium cucumber thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 slices red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh dill chopped
Slice the cucumber and red onion thinly. Place them in a colander, then sprinkle with salt. Let them sit for about 20 minutes.
Rinse them with cool water. Then remove as much of the water from the cucumbers as you can.
In a small bowl combine the oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, celery seed, and fresh dill mix until well combined.
Add the drained cucumber and red onions to a bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and mix well. Season with additional salt if needed.
The salad can be eaten right away, but I like to refrigerate it for about 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Nutrition information is an estimate and may vary with brands of ingredients used.
- Use cucumbers that are firm without bruises or cuts.
- Use medium cucumbers that are tender and have smaller seeds.
- Red onion is the perfect onion for the salad, it not only adds color it is great for eating raw.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. After this, the salad will lose its crispness.
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.9g | Protein: 1.3g | Fat: 8.4g | Saturated Fat: 1.7g | Sodium: 703mg | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 17.8g | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg