Wonton Taco Cups are a fun way to serve tacos as an appetizer. These little tacos are filled with chicken taco meat, green peppers, onions, and cheese, then topped with additional cheese. Once they are baked you add the additional toppings that you like.
My family loves these wonton taco cups. I like to make them with ground chicken mixed with taco seasoning and cheddar cheese.
I have thought about these taco cups for about a year or so, they were always on the back of my mind. Then one day I finally decided to pick up a package of wonton wraps and the rest is history.
The crispy wonton and the cheesy chicken taco meat are the perfect snacks.
What is a wonton wrapper made of?
Traditional Chinese wonton wrappers are made of flour, eggs, and water.
Ingredients and variations:
- Ground Chicken- Traditional ground beef or ground turkey works well.
- A packet of taco seasoning – If you have a homemade taco seasoning recipe that you like you can use that.
- Cheddar cheese – I prefer a mild cheddar cheese for this recipe, but you can use sharp cheddar.
- Wonton wrappers – I have always used wonton wrappers, they work the best in the mini muffin tins.
Every once in awhile we will have a few of the wonton taco cups leftover. What is the best way to store them?
Place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator.
How to reheat the leftovers?
Baking them in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 5 minutes works well. You will never know that they are reheated.
After the wonton taco cups are baked it is fun to add additional toppings to them. Here are some that we enjoy.
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Chopped onions
- Chopped lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
How to make these wonton taco cups:
Step one – Preheat the oven to 375.
Step two – In a skillet cook the ground chicken with the chopped onion and green pepper. One the chicken is done add the seasoning as directed on the package. Add the cheddar cheese and mix until melted.
Step three – Spray the mini muffin tins with a nonstick cooking spray. Press the wonton wrappers gently down into the tins using your fingertips. Make sure that the wonton wrappers are flattened to the sides of the tins.
Step four – Bake the cups for 5 minutes and remove them from the oven. Divide the chicken between the cups and top each one with the remaining cheese. Place back in the oven and continue to bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve. Top with your favorite toppings.
If you love appetizer recipes check out these recipes:
Wonton Taco Cups
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons green peppers finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese divided
- toppings that you desire
- In a medium skillet brown the grown chicken with the chopped green pepper and onion until the chicken is completely browned
- Add the taco season according to the direction on the package. Mix in 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray the mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Press wonton wrappers down into the cups of the muffin tin using the tips of fingers. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cups from the oven and divide the prepared chicken into the cups. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over each cup.
- Place bake in the oven and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until desired crispness.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
- Chop the onion and green pepper so it is very fine for the chicken.
- Store leftovers in a airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Reheat in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 minutes or until warmed through.