Turtle Bars a cookie bar made with only five ingredients, you will be amazed how simple the recipe is, but yet so irresistible. You won’t believe that such a simple bar could taste so amazing.
I found this recipe many years ago in an old cookbook that my mom gave me. It reminded me of a cookie bar that my mom made years ago, the only difference was that these turtle bars have caramel and pecans and the ones my mom made didn’t.
After the very first time, I made them I knew that it was a recipe that I would be making over and over again. In fact, my kids have requested these bars for their birthday dessert instead of the traditional birthday cake. Yep, that is how tasty they are.
- Butter – Make sure that you use butter for this recipe.
- Brown sugar
- Flour – I use all-purpose flour works great
- Pecans – If you prefer walnuts or cashews would do well, too.
- Chocolate chips – I like to use milk chocolate, but you can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
- Make sure to use butter instead of margarine. The butter adds great flavor that the margarine just won’t supply.
- The butter will need to be at room temperature for the crust, so that blends well with the flour and brown sugar.
- If you prefer to make the bars without the nuts that will work. I have made them many times without the nuts and everyone loves them just as much as when I include the nuts.
- Top the bars with the chocolate chips when the bars come out of the oven, turn off the oven and put the bars back in the oven for a minute or two. This will melt the chocolate chips a lot faster and make them easier to spread.
Steps for making these turtle bars:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup butter. Use an electric mixer to mix the ingredients together. Make sure that they are well blended.
Press the crust into the prepared pan using your fingertips. Sprinkle the pecans over top of the unbaked crust and set aside
In a heavy saucepan combine 2/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Cook the mixture over medium heat until it boils. Continue to boil the mixture for 1/2 minute to a minute stirring constantly.
Pour the mixture over top of the crust and pecans. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 18 to 22 minutes.
Once the bars are baked remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over top. Turn off the oven and place the bars back in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and spread the melted chocolate chips.
Here are some other bar recipes you may enjoy:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup pecans Put on top of the crust
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips for on top of the bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup butter. With an electric mixer mix the ingredients until well blended.
- Put the crust into the prepared pan using your fingertips and set aside. Sprinkle the pecans over top of the crust.
- In a heavy saucepan add the 2/3 cup butter and the 1/2 cup brown sugar. Over medium heat bring the mixture to a bowl. Continue to boil for 1/2 minute to 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the crust and pecans. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes.
- Once the bars baked remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the bars. Turn off the oven and place the bars back in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes. Spread the melted chocolate chips
- Use butter and not margarine, for a butter flavor.
- Use room temperature butter so that it blends easily with the flour and brown sugar.
- Place the pan back into the oven (that is turned off) after sprinkling the chocolate chips on top of the bars, so that the chocolate chips melt easier.
This recipe was originally published on November 23, 2011. It has been updated with new content and pictures on December 5, 2019.