Spaghetti stuffed Italian bread is one my new favorite comfort foods.
Many of you love spaghetti, right? And many of you love Italian bread, right? But, have you ever thought of stuffing spaghetti inside the bread and baking it? Well, I hadn’t thought about until recently.
Mike had some weird eating habits when he was a kid well; at least, I think he did. For example, when he was a kid he liked to eat grape jelly on his baked potatoes. Is that weird or is it just me?
One of his habits that I didn’t find so weird was a so-called sandwich in which he would hollow out the end of a loaf of French bread and then stuff it with spaghetti.
It has been in the back of my mind for a long time and recently I have been thinking about it a little more. I knew that it was something that I had to try. So here it is!
I took Mike’s sandwich that he loved from his childhood and changed it up a bit. But let me tell you it is still fun to eat and quite tasty too.
Since all bread is different shapes and sizes you may want to make a little more spaghetti than what is in the recipe (if the loaf that you make it with is larger than the one I used I don’t want you to fall short), but don’t worry if you can’t fit all of the spaghetti into the bread you can eat it the old fashioned way.
The bread gets crispy on the outside, but make sure not to overdo it on the sauce or the inside of the bread may get soggy. What I did was I served spaghetti/pizza sauce with the slices of stuffed bread.
Spaghetti stuffed Italian bread, the new fun way to serve spaghetti.
- 1 loaf Italian Bread 20-ounce loaf I like the Italian better than the French bread because it is wider
- 2 cups cooked Italian sausage
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti use the directions on the box
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce plus more for eating
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take a loaf of Italian bread, cut around the edge of the bread, making sure you don't cut through the bottom of the loaf. Remove the inside of the bread making sure you leave some of the bread in the shell.
- Once the Italian sausage and the spaghetti are cooked, mixed together well. Add one cup of the mozzarella cheese and stir in.
- Take the spaghetti mixture and stuff into the bread. Don't worry if it sticks out a bit. Top the spaghetti mixture with the 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic powder to taste.
- Place in a baking dish lined with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the bread is crunchy on the outside.