Add a healthy side dish to any dinner with this spaghetti squash with garlic and Parmesan cheese.
This is my first experience with spaghetti squash. Mike and I were grocery shopping a couple of weeks ago; the store that we were shopping at had a display of squash. There was a large variety, I wasn’t sure what kind of squash some of them were. I wanted to purchase one, but I wanted to get one that I had not tried before.
Yeah, I grabbed one that I wasn’t sure of what it was. I thought I would look it up on the web to determine what I was bringing home. When I got it home and had it sitting on the counter I decided that maybe it was a spaghetti squash, but still I wasn’t quite sure. After looking at the spaghetti squash online, I still was not quite sure. It resembled the spaghetti squash that I saw online, but it was a little smaller than the ones that I saw.
But when I cut it open and roasted it, I was sure it was a spaghetti squash. After it was roasted the stringy flesh made it obvious to which type of squash it was.
I was quite pleased with myself for picking this particular squash. As you all know, the holidays are right around the corner. I love the holiday season, but I am already dreading all the calories that I know that I will be consuming. I like the thought of a healthy side dish that this squash made.
I sauteed a little onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil and butter, then tossed in the roasted spaghetti squash with some Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. I was really anxious to try it, I have heard really good things about this particular squash. It was a woohoo moment… the squash was wonderful.
I tried the squash before dressing it up with the other ingredients and loved the texture; actually I was surprised to see how the texture of the squash was so much like the real deal pasta. I have a new love and it just so happens to be this spaghetti squash.
Have you tried a dish with spaghetti squash? If you haven’t you really should rush out and pick one up to try it.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds. Line a 9 by 13 baking dish with aluminum foil. Add a little water about 1/2 cup or so in the bottom of the pan. Place the halved squash in the baking dish flesh down. Roast for 45 minutes to and hour or until it is easy to pierce with a fork.
- Remove from oven and cool enough to handle. With a fork remove the flesh from the skin and set aside. In a large skillet heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sautee for a minute or two. Add the spaghetti squash and toss. Combine the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning and sprinkle over the spaghetti, toss until the spaghetti is well coated. Season with salt to taste. Serve.