Southwestern Chicken Pie, chicken, red pepper, green pepper, corn, onion, and cheddar cheese are stuffed in a double crust pie and is baked until the crust is golden brown.
Southwestern chicken pie, is made with a pie crust that has a touch of cornmeal in it, which brings the whole pie together.
I have always been a fan of pot pies. I love the idea of chicken and with veggies all stuffed between a double crust pie. It is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods.
This Southern chicken pie is reminiscent of my beloved pot pies. Although the crust is not the flaky crust that you find on your everyday pot pies. This crust actually has some cornmeal as one of the ingredients.
I am partial to adding chicken when it comes to making meat pies, but if you prefer you prefer you can use ground beef instead of the chicken.
How to top off a slice of Southwestern chicken pie.
- A spoonful of guacamole
- A dollop of sour cream
- A spoonful of salsa
Here are some other chicken recipes you may want to try:
Southwestern Chicken Pie
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 cup red pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime (juice)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 8 tablespoons cold water
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the green pepper, red pepper, onion, and garlic to the skillet. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the chicken, tomatoes, and corn. Mix the seasoning together and add to the chicken mixture and stir in.
- Mix in the lime juice. Add the cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Simmer for about 5 minutes
- While the vegetables are cooking mix together the pie crust.
- Sift together the cornmeal, flour, and salt. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water a tablespoon at a time. Mix until a ball can be formed. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes
- Divide the dough in half. Roll on a lightly floured surface until the dough to fit the pie pan. You will want enough to hang over the edge. Place the rolled dough into the pie pan and add the filling.
- Roll out the top of the pie crust. Lay the top crust over the filling and pinch the ends of the crust together. Cut slits in the top of the pie crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven that has been heated to 400 degrees F. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes and serve.