Southwest breakfast bowl is loaded with potatoes, onion, peppers, spicy pork sausage, and topped off with scrambled cheesy eggs, chopped tomatoes, and avocado. This is a hearty way to start off your day.
I know I have mentioned this many times on my blog, but I love breakfast. There are many evenings we find ourselves having breakfast for dinner. Nothing wrong with that, right?
This breakfast bowl is a hearty one that is guaranteed to fill you up and keep you going all morning long. Not to mention it is totally delicious.
No kidding I think I could eat this every week and never get tired of it. One of the things that I love about this recipe is that you can change it up by using different peppers, meats, and maybe a fried egg instead of scrambled. No matter you are going to love it.
- I like to microwave the potatoes for this about 3 to 4 minutes, before adding them to the skillet. This way they take less time in the skillet to cook completely.
- This recipe calls for hot (spicey) pork sausage, if you don’t care for hot pork sausage you can use mild sausage.
- If you are a fan of pork sausage try using chorizo sausage or your favorite.
- A castiron skillet works well for the veggies and the sausage, but you will want to use a nonstick skillet for the eggs.
- When you are done with the sausage combination, make the eggs. Keep the skillet on simmer to keep the sausage and veggies hot until the eggs are done.
Step for making the Southwest Breakfast Bowl
Clean a medium potato. Microwave 3 to 4 minutes or just until they are starting to get tender. Remove from the microwave and cool before cutting them.
In a large skillet break apart the pork sausage. Cook until it is no longer pink. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Wipe out the skillet.
Peel the cooled microwaved potato and cut it into cubes. Prepare the other vegetables.
Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the vegetables (except the tomato, green onion, and avocado) and saute for 10 to 12 minutes. Turning the vegetables often so they don’t start to burn.
Once the vegetables are tender and potatoes are slightly browned add the black beans and stir in. Season the vegetables and black beans with salt, oregano, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.
Stir in the prepared sausage. Turn down the heat to simmer to keep warm until the eggs are prepared.
Add the eggs to a large bowl. Add the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well blended.
Add about a teaspoon of butter to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook until the eggs are no longer runny.
Divide the sausage into three bowls. Top with scrambled eggs, additional cheese, avocado, and green onion.
Do you want additional breakfast ideas? Check out these recipes:
Southwest Breakfast Bowl
- 1 large potato
- 8 ounces hot pork sausage
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 1/2 medium red pepper
- 2 tablespoon onion
- 1 cup black beans rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more for the eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus more for topping
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup tomato chopped
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- green onion
- Clean a large potato. Stick it with a fork a few times and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes or until it starts to get tender. Remove from the skillet and cool.
- In a large cast-iron skillet fry the pork sausage until no longer pink. Remove the sausage from the skillet and set aside. Wipe out the skillet.
- Peel the potato and cut into cubes. Chop the green pepper, red pepper, and onion.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the prepared vegetables to the skillet. Saute, turning them often so not to burn or stick on. If needed add additional oil.
- Once the vegetables are tender and the potatoes lightly browned stir in the black beans.
- Combine the 1/4 teaspoon salt, oregano, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder. Sprinkle over top of the vegetables and black beans, stir in.
- Add the sausage back into the skillet and stir in. Reduce the heat to simmer to keep warm until the eggs are prepared.
- Chop the tomato, slice the avocado, and chop some green onion, set aside
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper and beat until well mixed.
- Add about a teaspoon of butter to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook the eggs until they are not runny.
- Divide the sausage and vegetables into three bowls. Top with the scrambled eggs, tomato, avocado, green onion, and additional cheese if desired.
- I use hot pork sausage for this recipe, but if you want you can use mild pork sausage or chorizo,
- Microwave the potato before cubing it up for the skillet. This will help the cooking process.
- A cast-iron skillet works well for the sausage and vegetables, but use a nonstick skillet for the eggs.
- Keep the pork sausage and vegetables on simmer while preparing the eggs to keep the mixture hot.