Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is a super-easy way to make delicious chicken with just a few ingredients. All of the ingredients are dumped into the slow cooker and cooked for 3 to 6 hours and it turns out delicious every time.
Not only does it turn out to be delicious, but it is healthy, and you can serve it up in numerous ways. It is excellent served with brown rice, or in a tortilla shell, or sometimes I like to eat it with tortilla chips.
One of the reasons that I love this recipe is because it is so easy. It is one of those recipes that you throw together and walk away from it. I would suggest that you look at it occasionally to check on the chicken. It is also one that the whole family will love. I know that is sometimes a hard thing to happen.
- Remove any fat that might be on the chicken before placing it in the slow cooker.
- I use chicken breast for this recipe, but boneless skinless chicken thighs would work as well. The cooking time may vary if using chicken thighs.
- You can use store-bought taco seasoning or if you make your own you can use that. The packet of taco seasoning that you buy in the store equals 2 tablespoons.
- I like to use medium salsa, but you can use mild or hot depending on your taste.
- Chicken is done when it starts to fall apart.
- You can use two forks to shred the chicken easily.
- For the leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- This chicken will freeze well, so if you want to keep it longer than 4 days, put it in an airtight container and freeze it.
Steps for making Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
Place the chicken breast in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Sprinkle the taco seasoning over top of the chicken breast.
Add the chopped onion over top of the taco seasoning.
Pour the salsa over top of all the ingredients. Add the chicken broth and lime juice to the slow cooker.
Cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
Place the shredded chicken back in the slow cooker. Add the sour cream and mix in. Let the chicken heat back up and serve.
More easy meal recipes:
If you make this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- 4 large skinless boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Place the chicken breast in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top of the chicken breast.
- Add the onions on top of the taco seasoning
- Pour the salsa over top of all of the other ingredients
- Add the chicken broth and lime juice.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the slow cooker, and shred the meat.
- Place the chicken back into the slow cooker. Add the sour cream and stir until all the ingredients are well combined. Let the meat heat back up before serving.
- Remove any fat that may be on the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker.
- You can use 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning or 1 packet of store-bought taco seasoning.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken. It only takes a few minutes.
- The leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- This chicken freezes well. Place the chicken in an airtight container if freezing.
This recipe was originally published on September 23, 2013. It has been updated with new content and pictures on June 9, 2022.