Skillet Mac and Cheese is easy, this cheesy side dish is one that you can make during the weeknight, super easy to make and it is done in under 30 minutes.
Skillet mac and cheese is one our family favorites and I am sure it is one that will become your favorite as well.
I have been making macaroni and cheese forever, it is one side dish that most of the family have always loved. When making macaroni and cheese I have always used a white sauce, you know the one that is the butter, flour, and milk/cream.
Until now. I started making the cheesy sauce by replacing the white sauce with an egg. I find that this way is faster and the cheese sauce comes out creamier.
This change came about when my oldest daughter went on vacation down south and ate at Paula Dean’s restaurant. She kept raving about the mac and cheese she had there; that it was the best ever. We had a household of picky eaters when were at home and our oldest daughter is the pickest of them all.
Yeah, she would never eat my mac and cheese with the white sauce. So I did a little research and started making the sauce with the egg and now she is loving my mac and cheese. To tell the truth I enjoy this type better too.
How do you make skillet mac and cheese?
Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the box. For the cheese sauce, add sharp cheddar cheese, cream, and butter in a skillet. Over medium-low to medium heat the three ingredients until everything is melted together. Before adding the egg, you will want to temper the egg and then add it to the cheese sauce. Add the macaroni and heat for about 5 to 10 minutes. Top with additional cheese and melt under the broiler until lightly browned.
What is tempering an egg?
Tempering an egg is adding some of the hot liquid to the beaten egg before adding it to the hot mixture. If the egg is added to the hot liquid before tempering you will end up with a cooked egg in your sauce. Very easy to do and you will be happy that you tempered your egg first.
Here are some other Macaroni sides that you may enjoy:
One year ago: Cranberry Orange Cream Cheese Scones
Two years ago: Shrimp and Garlic Rice
Three years ago: Raisin Oat Scones
Four years ago: Banana Cream Cheese Dessert
Skillet Mac and Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- In a heavy skillet add the butter 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, and cream. Heat over medium-low to medium heat. Stirring constantly heat until the cheese and butter are melted and the cheese sauce is formed
- In a small bowl beat the egg. Add a couple of teaspoons of the hot cheese mixture to the eggs and beat. Continue this procedure 3 to 4 more time. Then you will want to mix the egg mixture into the cheese sauce.
- While making the cheese sauce cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Once the macaroni is cooked and the cheese sauce is completed add the macaroni to the cheese sauce. Mix well and continue to cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the 4 ounces of cheddar cheese on top of the mac and cheese and place under the broiler. Heat until the cheese is melted and has turned slightly brown.