Roasted mashed sweet potatoes along with butter, cream cheese, whipping cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and clove come together to make a tasty side dish.
Roasted mashed sweet potatoes a simple side dish that is easy to make and is good for you.
I have a few memories from when I was a kid when it comes to sweet potatoes. It involves Sunday dinners at my grandma’s house. She made the typical sweet potato side dish with brown sugar, pineapple, and marshmallows. To be honest, I remember my grandma serving them but to tell the truth, I can’t recall if I ate them.
It is funny that I can vividly recall my grandma making these sweet potatoes, but that I can’t recall if I ate them. More than likely I didn’t touch them. You see I was a pretty picky eater back then. Yeah, so more than likely I didn’t even think about taking a bite of the sweet potatoes.
Flash forward to the present. These days I love eating roasted sweet potatoes. Normally when I make them for myself I eat them plain.
But with the holidays coming I decided to try dressing up some sweet potatoes because not everyone in my family would fancy plain roasted sweet potatoes. And to tell the truth, the cream cheese and spices liven up the taste of the sweet potatoes. I am a big fan of the spices.
So if you are looking for something different besides plain potatoes I hope you try these roasted mashed sweet potatoes.
Here are some more side dishes you may want to check out:
Roasted Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2-2/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Scrub sweet potatoes and stick them with a fork several times.
- Place on a baking dish and roasted the sweet potatoes for about an hour or until they are tender. Remove them from the oven.
- Take a sharp knife and cut the sweet potatoes down the middle and pull apart. Be careful because they are very hot. Scoop out the flesh of the potatoes an place into a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and with a potato masher or an electric hand mixer mix until the ingredients are well blended and potatoes are fluffy.
- Serve immediately or they heat up nicely in the microwave.
Check out these fun things about sweet potatoes here.