Pizza Grilled Cheese is an easy-to-make sandwich that is sure to please the youngest to the oldest palate. This simple sandwich is the perfect comfort food to serve for lunch or for a quick dinner.
I love grilled cheese. There are many dinners when I want something simple I find myself making a grilled cheese. I love to serve it with soup. There is nothing like a sandwich and soup, they’re my go-to comfort food.
This fun twist on this classic sandwich is perfect for young and old. I don’t think I can think of anyone that wouldn’t say yes to a good grilled cheese sandwich. The pepperoni and the seasoning really make this a true pizza flavor.
- Make sure that the butter is soft before adding the seasoning to it. The soft butter will make it easy to mix the seasonings in. When spreading on the bread the soft butter will not tear the bread.
- If the butter is not soft enough, microwave for a few seconds, until it is soft, but not melted.
- Use sturdy bread. I used a store-bought sourdough bread that worked well for this sandwich.
- When spreading the butter on the bread make sure that you cover the whole side of the slice of bread with the butter. The sandwich will brown better.
- If you are slicing the cheese slice it thin and layer the cheese on the bread. I think that the thin slices will melt better than if you try to use a thick slab.
- I use provolone for this recipe, but mozzarella will work just as well.
- One of the biggest secrets when it comes to making grilled cheese is not to rush. If the heat is too high you will end with burnt bread and cheese that is not melted. Make sure the heat is not too high, it may take a longer time to finish the sandwich, but it is a better outcome.
- If you have leftovers you can store them in the refrigerator. Make sure that the sandwich is thoroughly cooled. Store in an airtight container.
- To reheat the leftover sandwich place it in the skillet and heat over low heat until the sandwich is warmed through or place it in an oven and heat until the desired temperature. I do not recommend the microwave, it will produce a soggy reheated sandwich.
What is the best type of bread to use for grilled cheese sandwiches?
When it comes to making grilled sandwiches, I usually reach for white bread. My favorite is sourdough or cottage bread. I find that they are sturdy and make the perfect sandwich. When grilling they don’t get soggy as some other bread will. I have used French bread for this recipe as well, which I enjoy. What is your favorite bread?
Steps for making Pizza Grilled Cheese
Take soft butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning and mix together until well combined.
Butter one side of the bread. Place the butter side down in a skillet over medium-low heat.
Place the slices of the cheese on both sides of the bread. Top the cheese with pepperoni on one side of the bread.
Once the cheese is starting to melt and the bread is starting to brown, flip the side with the cheese on top of the side with the cheese and pepperoni.
When the bread is browned, flip and continue to brown the other side. Once the cheese is gooey and the bread is done remove it from the skillet. Serve it with pizza or marinara sauce
Check out these additional sandwich recipes:
If you make this Pizza Grilled Cheese I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 16 slices pepperoni
- 4 ounces provolone cheese
- Take soft butter and mix with the garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Butter one side of each of the four slices of bread, making sure the whole slice is buttered.
- Place the buttered side down in the skillet over medium-low heat. If you don't have a large skillet one sandwich can be made at a time.
- Use half the cheese for each sandwich. Place one-fourth of the cheese on each slice of bread. Place half of the pepperoni on top of the bread for each sandwich.
- Brown each side of the bread, once the cheese starts to soften flip the side that has the cheese and pepperoni. Let the cheese melt together from both sides. Remove from skillet and serve immediately.
- Make sure that the butter is soft enough to mix in the seasonings and to spread easily on the bread.
- Use sturdy bread like sourdough or cottage bread.
- Do not turn the heat, take it slow. If you heat the sandwich too quickly the bread will be burnt and the cheese will not be melted.
- Leftovers can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator.
- Reheat leftovers in a skillet over low heat or in an oven until warmed.
This recipe was originally published on May 7, 2012. It has been updated with new content and pictures on April 21, 2022.