Peanut butter and chocolate covered popcorn, oh man, my new favorite snack.
With daylight saving time coming to an end, it means that we are spending more time in the house during the evening. I really am not fond of the lack of light during this time of the year. It means leaving for work in the dark and returning from work in the dark… ugh. Our Friday night always includes a visit from our daughter with our two grandchildren. This past summer, Friday nights were spent mostly outside, enjoying the warm weather.
But now that it is fall and it is dark by the time they get here, it means that we have to find fun things to do in the house. Playing cards or games is usually at the top of the list. Do you know what goes well with games? Yes, snacks!! I am a big fan of snacks.
Popcorn is a good thing in our house. Everyone loves it, so usually when we have popcorn we make a big bowl of it. How can you improve popcorn? You got it, by adding some peanut butter and chocolate.
I have been thinking about this one for a while. I wanted to make it but was not quite sure if I should put the peanut butter and chocolate together or add them separately to the popcorn. The later one was the winner.
The peanut butter is heated with honey and a bit of butter. It is then added to the popped popcorn and the popcorn is tossed until it is well coated with the peanut butter. It is then spread on a jelly roll pan and placed in the refrigerator to let the peanut butter set up. While the popcorn is in the refrigerator you melt chocolate with a couple of teaspoons of vegetable shortening. The chocolate is then drizzled over the popcorn and tossed until the chocolate is evenly spread over the popcorn. Back into the refrigerator it goes so the chocolate can dry.
It is hard to wait for the chocolate to set up. I caught myself sneaking a few pieces before the chocolate was set, it is so yummy. This stuff is so addictive; I could have eaten every bite by myself, but you know I had to share some.
This is best eaten the same day that it is made, but I don’t think you will find it hard to do.
- 2 quarts of popped popcorn
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup honey
- ⅔ cup cream peanut butter
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- In a large bowl add popped popcorn season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan add the honey, peanut butter, and butter. Heat these ingredients over medium-low heat until the butter and peanut butter are melted. Once the butter and peanut butter are melted drizzle the mixture over the popcorn. Toss until the popcorn is evenly coated with the peanut butter mixture. Spread the popcorn on a jelly roll pan and place in the refrigerator to let the peanut butter set up.
- While the popcorn is in the refrigerator take the chocolate chips and shortening and place them in the microwave for about 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each 20 seconds. Once the chocolate is melted take the popcorn out of the refrigerator and put it back into the large bowl. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the popcorn. Toss until the popcorn is evenly coated with the chocolate. Spread it back onto the jelly roll pan and set in the refrigerator, to allow the chocolate to harden, for about 45 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and enjoy.