I am always looking for new ways to make potatoes; they are definitely one of our favorite side dishes. This past weekend while grocery shopping I found baby Yukon Gold potatoes on sale and I thought of smashed potatoes. I have seen many recipes for these and have always wanted to make some.
I decided to keep it simple and flavored them with some onion powder, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. This was a hit with the guys and me. I am sure the list would be endless on ways to make these simple potatoes. Have you made smashed potatoes before? Let me know what your favorite way is to make them.
Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
10 to 12 baby potatoes
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Onion Powder to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Scrub potatoes and place them in a pan with enough water to cover them. Cover and cook over high heat bring them to a boil, once they are boiling turn the heat to medium and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes (it will depend on the size of the potato). Once the potatoes are tender, remove from heat and drain water.
2. Prepare a baking sheet, cover with aluminum foil and spray with non-cooking spray. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and with a potato masher crush the potatoes.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
4. Brush the potatoes with olive oil so that they well coated.
5. Season well with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
6. Place the potatoes in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and generously sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Return the potatoes to the oven and bake for another 2 to 4 minutes. Enjoy!