Orange poppy seed muffins… a change from your everyday lemon poppy seed muffins.
I got a new muffin tins and boy am I excited. It funny, but I do get really excited when I get something new in the kitchen. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and baking and love getting new things to play with in the kitchen.
Not only that, but I think that the muffin tins that I have now are from when Mike and I got married. Yeah, I think that I got them as shower gifts or wedding gifts, not sure which one. So that makes them old, really old, like over 30 years old. So you can see why I am so excited.
When you get something new, you have to try it out. Right? So I wasn’t quite sure what to make. I wanted something simple, but yet something that everyone would enjoy. Muffins, yes, they are simple to make and quick… perfect for breakfast. I love lemon poppy seed muffins, breads, scones… but not sure if I have made anything with orange and poppy seeds. So you got it, I made muffins with orange and poppy seeds.
I love these muffins as much as the lemon version. They are moist and tender. I love the orange flavor along with the poppy seeds. I thought it was a wonderful combination.
For an extra bonus, I took the juice from an orange and combined it with some sugar. Right after I took the muffins out of the oven I brushed them with the orange juice and sugar combination and after they cooled a bit I brushed them once again. This process gave the muffins a nice glaze over the top of each muffin and added a bit more flavor.
Hope you give these orange poppy seed muffins a try!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons of poppy seeds
- Zest from one orange
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Juice from one orange
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin tins or line them with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds, and zest. In another bowl combine the eggs, sugar, milk, 1/2 cup orange juice. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Fill each muffin tin about 2/3 full. Place in the preheated oven for about 15 to 17 minute or test with a wooden toothpick, insert and if it comes out clean the muffins are done.
- While the muffins are baking combine the juice of an orange with 3 tablespoons of sugar. Once the muffins are removed from the oven using a pastry brush - brush that tops of the muffins with the juice. Wait for the muffins to cool slightly and brush one more time with the juice.