Mixed berry scones are filled with strawberries and blueberries a great way to start your morning off.
Mixed berry scones are tender and fruity and are topped with a lemon icing. They are a great way to start your morning or as an after school snack or even as a dessert.
It has been a while since I did a post about scones. So I thought it was time to make another batch to share on the blog. Actually, I have made them a couple of times this summer. Scones never seem to hang around too long at our house, especially when our kids stop in to see us, they have a tendency to come home hungry.
I like to visit a blog called Spiced; David always has mouth watering recipes on his blog. I was reading his recipe for Mixed Berry Coffee Cake. It’s a scrumptious looking coffee cake; I really liked the blueberries and raspberries that he used in this recipe. Although I did not have raspberries I did have strawberries in the refrigerator.
And the strawberries and blueberries were in need of being used. I like to stock up on fresh fruit in the summer, you can say that my eyes are bigger than my stomach. Well, David’s inspirational coffee cake saved the strawberries and blueberries from not being used.
Do you have fruit that needs to use up before it goes bad? Try mixing up fruit for some new flavors.
I hope if you are looking for a new scone recipe that you will try these mixed berry scones.
Here are some other scone recipes you may enjoy:
Mixed Berry Scones
- 1/2 cup butter should be cold
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup strawberries
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare baking pans
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar until well mixed. Add the cold butter and with a fork or a pastry cutter cut in the butter until the mixture is like coarse crumbs
- Toss in the strawberries and blueberries once the butter is cut in.
- Combine the egg, sour cream, and milk. Add to the dry mixture. Mix until the ingredients are combined.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Form the dough into an 8-inch circle. With a pizza cutter cut into 8 wedges.
- Place on a prepared baking pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Cool completely.
- For the icing mix the 2 cups of powdered sugar with enough of the lemon juice for the right consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones.