Mexican chicken and rice skillet, a one-skillet meal that is full of flavor and so easy to make, this is one that the whole family will love.
Mexican chicken and rice skillet is a one-pot dinner, so you don’t have to worry about a ton of dishes when you are done with this recipe.
This is the type of dinner that my family loves to eat. Yeah, anything with a Mexican flavor to it. It funny because as a kid we would never have had this type of meal served.
As I have mentioned before I grew up on a dairy farm. Growing up my mom had a huge garden where we grew vegetables and fruits. My mom was one of those ladies that did a lot of canning. She canned anything from meat to crab apples. We loved it all.
Meals usually consisted of meat, potatoes, and usually some kind of vegetable, oh and homemade bread. I am not complaining because the food was delicious and we never went hungry.
But as far as food with a Mexican flare, it never reached our dinner table.
It wasn’t until I met Mike that Mexican food came into play. And, I have to admit when I first started eating it I was not a big fan, but over the years it has grown on me.
I love the flavor of cumin, garlic, onion…
What kind of skillet should you use for this dish?
A cast iron skillet works perfectly for this dish.
What size of skillet will you need for this dish?
I used a 10 1/2″ skillet, but one that is a little larger will work fine too.
If you enjoy chicken dishes you make like these as well. Please check them out.
Mexican Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Combine the cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and chili powder. Rub the chicken with the combined spices.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and brown the chicken about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Once the chicken is browned it is time to make the rice. Add the onions and peppers to the skillet. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until they start to get tender. Add the garlic and tomatoes and continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the tomato paste until blended in. Stir in the rice and the seasoning. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Place the chicken on top of the rice. Cover the skillet with aluminum foil and place the skillet into an oven that is preheated to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the chicken and rice for 40 to 45 minutes or until the rice is tender and broth is absorbed into the rice. You can remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of baking.