Mexican Cheesy Potatoes creamy tender potatoes made with peppers, onions, Mexican cheese, a white sauce, seasoning, and of course potatoes.
Mexican Cheesy Potatoes slices of thin potatoes smothered in cheese sauce. The potatoes are flavored with the green and red pepper, onion, garlic powder, and cumin for a wonderful side dish.
I really can’t think of a side dish that I enjoy more than potatoes. The one nice thing about potatoes is there is a bazillion ways to make them. Fried, baked, French fries, scalloped, and the list goes on and on.
This is how you make these Mexican cheesy potatoes:
First, you start off with making a white sauce. Cook the white sauce until it thickens and bubbles. Once the white sauce has thickened add the Mexican cheese and mix until it is melted and mixed in. Next thing to do is mix in the potatoes, peppers, and onion. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch baking pan and bake at 375 degrees until the potatoes are tender.
What is a white sauce?
It is a mixture of butter, flour, and milk or cream. A versatile sauce that pairs well with vegetables, used in casseroles, and is a base for many cheese sauces.
Cheesy potatoes are one of those comfort foods that you never get tired of. These Mexican cheesy potatoes will be a recipe that you make over and over again.
Love potatoes like I do? Check out these recipes:
Mexican Cheesy Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups half and half
- 4 cups Mexican Cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over low heat. Blend in the flour, cumin, garlic, powder, and salt. Add all of the half and half at one time. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook a couple of minutes until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add 2 cups of the Mexican cheese and mix until the cheese is melted and blended in. Add the potatoes, peppers and onions mix in. Pour the potatoes into the prepared baking pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove the potatoes and top with the remaining 2 cups of Mexican cheese and continue to bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.