Meatball pizza is a simple pizza made with Italian meatballs, Mozzarella cheese, and some Italian seasoning sprinkled over top. Why go out for pizza when you can make it at home? It is easy to make and it is ready in no time at all.
I have been making pizza forever at home. One of the reasons that I like making pizza at home is that I can add exactly what I want to each pizza. The pizza recipe that I am sharing today is super simple with simple ingredients. But don’t worry if you like more toppings, you can add them.
I love the flavor that the Italian sausage gives to this pizza. It seems that I find so many different dishes to add this sausage to such as Baked Italian Sausage and Peppers and Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage.
- This pizza was made in a cast-iron skillet. Don’t worry if you don’t have one. Any kind of large baking sheet pan will work. Or if you have a pizza stone, that would work as well.
- Buy the sausage in bulk to make the meatballs. If you prefer you can buy mini Italian meatballs in the store. Or if you prefer you can make your favorite meatball recipe for this pizza.
- The recipe for the crust fits well in a 12-inch skillet. If you prefer you can use a store-bought crust. You would need between 1/2 pound to 3/4 pound of dough.
- Make the pizza the way you like it. You can add veggies or additional meat or keep it simple as I have. Anyway, it is delicious.
- I recommend baking the pizza at 400 degrees. I find that baking at a higher heat does not bake the crust all the way through.
- Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- To reheat use the oven set at 350. Heat to the desired temperature. The pizza can be heated in the microwave for something quick, but I find the oven is better.
Step for making Meatball pizza
Make the meatballs. You will want them to be about the size of a quarter or bite-size. Fry them in a skillet just until done.
While the meatballs are being fried, prepare the dough for the crust.
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Once the dough is ready pat it into the bottom of the skillet.
Top the crust with pizza sauce. Place the meatballs on top of the sauce.
Spread the shredded mozzarella over the top of the pizza. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over top of the pizza.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
More pizza ideas that you may like:
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Pizza
- Chicken Parmesan French Bread Pizza
- Crescent Roll Pizza Braid
- Chicken Taco Pizza
If you make this meatball pizza I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
- 1 1/3 – 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and set aside.
- Make the meatballs about the size of a quarter. Fry them over medium heat until just done. (They will bake in the oven as well)
- While the meatballs are frying make the pizza dough.
- In a medium bowl combine the yeast, sugar, salt, and 1cup of flour and mix together.
- Stir in the warm water and olive oil. Gradually work in enough of the remaining flour until the dough is smooth and just slightly sticky. Coat with a little olive oil and flip to coat the other side. Let rise for 5 to 10 minutes or until the meatballs are done.
- Place the dough in the skillet and with your fingers pat the dough out until you cover the bottom on the skillet. Pinch around the edge of the crust to make a lip around the edge of the skillet.
- Spread over top of the dough the pizza sauce. Top the sauce with the cooked meatballs.
- Spread the mozzarella cheese over top of the meatballs. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning over top of the cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven and baked 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is starting to turn brown.
- Use bulk Italian sausage to make the meatballs. The size should be about the size of a quarter.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have a cast-iron skillet. The pizza can be made on any large baking sheet pan.
- Add vegetables to your pizza. Onion, peppers, or mushrooms are just a few that you may want to add.
- Store leftover pizza in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.