These lemon bars remind me of my childhood. When I was a kid, you could find my mom in the kitchen on Saturday afternoons usually baking a variety of desserts. A lot of times she would be baking bars for our family. Lemon bars were one of the favorites in our house. To be truthful I am not sure if I have ever made my mom’s recipe for lemon bars, but I do remember how yummy they were.
Last weekend I had a couple of lemons in the refrigerator and that got me thinking of lemon bars. I do not have my mom’s recipe, but the recipe I found sounded very tasty, so I decided to go with the one that I found on the web.
This recipe is so simple and the results are something that will make your taste buds smile. The crust is sweet and crumbly and then comes the lemon filling which is nice and tangy, topped with a bit of sweet confectioners’ sugar. Can’t get much better than this, so yummy.
Lemon Pie Bars (As found on allrecipes.com)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Mix 2 cups of flour and confectioners’ sugar together. Cut in the butter. Mix well until the dough resembles pie dough consistency. Press the dough into a 9×13 inch baking pan.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Beat together eggs, sugar, 1/4 cup flour, lemon juice, and lemon zest for at least one minute. Pour mixture over the baked crust.
5. Bake the bars another 20 minutes, or until the lemon topping has set. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar when cool.