Lemon cream cheese scones… a classic combination of flavors.
We spent part of last weekend with our daughter and fiancé . She lives about a couple of hours away, so it’s not too long of a trip. But it was nice to get out of town and away from things for a bit. It was a relaxing time, no rushing around like our weekends have been this summer.
We did get home in time for me to do some baking and cooking so that I would have foods to put on my blog for the week. Even when I get away I always have things rolling around in my head, things that I think may be the next perfect recipe for my blog. And when we were at the restaurants to eat, my eyes are scouring the menu for something to inspire a new recipe.
Where do you find your inspiration for recipes? Sometimes my best ideas just pop into my head. But, I have decided that I need to take a notebook with me so that I can write things down when I think of ideas. I am good at thinking of ideas and then not following through with them, so hopefully if I start writing things down I will do better.
To the recipe… I wanted to make a lemon scone, I had lemons that I wanted to use in the refrigerator and when I was trying to decide how to make them, I thought of the cream cheese that was also in my refrigerator.
I have used cream cheese in scones once before, but this time around I decided to increase the amount that I used. The result was a tender and soft scone. I think that this may be one of my favorite scones that I have made so far. The lemon and cream cheese is classic and go so well together. The lemon glaze adds a bit more lemony flavor to the scones. Perfectly yummy.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese I used fat free
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups powder sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, lemon zest. Cut in butter with a fork or a pastry cutter until the butter is mix in well. Cut in the cream cheese.
- Mix the cream, egg, and lemon juice until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix just until it come together in a ball.
- On a floured surface knead the dough a couple of time. Form a 8 inch circle, with a pizza cutter or a sharp knife cut the circle into 8 wedges. Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven and remove the scones form the baking sheet onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- While the scones are cooling prepare the icing. Mix the powder sugar gradually with the lemon juice until you have the right consistency. Drizzle over cooled scones.
these are lovely scones!!!
Fabulous scones, Dawn! I never think to bake them up in the summer—but with Nick home from college, it would be a nice breakfast for him!
I feel like I find inspiration everywhere…or just randomly haha. Love these sweet tart scones!
Amy (Savory Moments)
I really enjoy lemon baked goods and these scones look perfect!