Lemon and Strawberry Coffee Cake a moist tender coffee cake that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or any time of the day. The fresh strawberries, lemon zest, and freshly squeezed lemon juice combine to give this coffee cake a lovely fresh taste.
It is strawberry season and what better way to add fresh berries than to bake them into something that your family will love.
This makes the perfect breakfast treat or delicious brunch dessert, but in our house, you can find us eating a piece as a dessert with dinner. So if you are like me you will be enjoying this coffee cake throughout the day.
- Make the crumble before making the coffee cake. The coffee cake should be baked as quickly as you can after mixing the batter together. The leavening agent starts working after it is added to the mixture.
- For best results use fresh strawberries instead of frozen ones.
- Have the buttermilk, lemon juice, zest, butter, and eggs at room temperature.
- A springform pan works well and makes removing the cake easily.
- If you are lucky enough to have leftovers it is best to store the leftovers in the refrigerator. Use aluminum foil to keep the coffee cake fresh.
- This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Steps for making Lemon and Strawberry Coffee Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with shortening.
Make the crumble. In a medium bowl add the 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, lemon zest, and 3 tablespoons of butter and mix together. Set aside. Slice the strawberries and set aside.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
In a large bowl add 1/3 cup butter, and 1 cup of sugar. With an electric mixer beat together until the mixture is light.
Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, followed by the lemon juice.
Mix in another 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by the buttermilk. Mix in the remaining flour, mixing just until the dry ingredients are mixed in.
Pour and spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Spread the strawberries over top of the batter. Sprinkle the crumble over the top of the strawberries.
Place in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place it on the cooling rack. Make the icing and drizzle over top of the cooled cake.
Here are some more delicious coffee cake recipes that I am sure you will love:
Lemon and Strawberry Coffee Cake
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup lemon juice room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl add the 1/3 cup sugar, lemon zest from 1 lemon, and butter mix together until crumb form. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer to beat the 1/3 cup butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the zest from 1 lemon and the egg
- Mix in 1/3 cup of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, followed by the lemon juice.
- Mix in another 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by the buttermilk. Mix in the remaining flour mixture just until the dry ingredients are mixed in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan. Place the sliced strawberries over top of the batter.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the strawberries. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
- In a small bowl add the 1/2 cup powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to make an icing. Drizzle over a slightly cooled coffee cake.
- Use fresh strawberries for best results
- Make the crumble before make the coffee cake.
- The ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Store the coffee cake in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This recipe was originally published on May 27, 2014. It has been updated with new content and pictures on June 11, 2020.