Italian Chicken Sandwich with Basil Mayonnaise, a flavorful sandwich that is easy to make and is topped with basil mayonnaise.
This Italian chicken sandwich with basil mayonnaise comes together quickly and its flavor is amazing. This chicken sandwich is made with chicken breast and dried Italian seasoning. The basil mayonnaise uses store-bought mayo for the base and has fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice.
Summertime is such a busy time of the year it is nice to have recipes that don’t take all day to make. This Italian chicken sandwich with basil mayonnaise is one of them. Mike told me that this was one of the best chicken sandwiches he had ever eaten. I hope you will agree.
I really enjoy growing fresh herbs in the garden in the summertime. Basil is on the top of the list when it comes to my herbs. I can a lot of spaghetti sauce for the winter months and the basil comes in handy when making the sauce, but I also love using it in dishes and other recipes during the summer.
How to make the chicken for this sandwich:
Start out with two large chicken breast. Cut each breast in half (from side to side). Pound out the chicken breast so it is about 1/4 inch thick. Brush each chicken breast with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Turn the chicken breast over and repeat the process. Place in the refrigerator for an hour or so and fry in a skillet for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on each side. The chicken turns out juicy and flavorful.
How to make the basil mayonnaise for this sandwich:
Add the mayonnaise into a mini food processor with the basil, chopped garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice until well blended. It adds a great flavor to this sandwich, but you can use it on other favorite sandwiches too.
Are sandwiches your thing? Check out these sandwich recipes:
- Baked Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Italian Shredded Pork Mozzarella Sandwiches
- Turkey Avocado BLT Sandwich
Italian Chicken Sandwich
- 2 large chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut the chicken breast into 2 pieces (from side to side) Pound each half to flatten out to be about 1/4 inch thick. Take about 1 tablespoon and brush the top of each chicken breast with the olive oil and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon over top of the 4 chicken breast patties. Turn the breast over and repeat the process.
- Cover and set in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a cast iron skillet and fry the chicken breast on each side for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on each side or until the chicken is no longer pink inside. Add additional olive oil while frying as needed.
- While the chicken is in the refrigerator prepare the basil mayonnaise. In a mini food processor add the mayonnaise, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice process until the ingredients are well blended.
- To assemble: Using your favorite bun place the chicken breast on the bun spread the top of the bun with the basil mayonnaise.
- Optional add lettuce and fresh sliced tomatoes to the sandwich if desired.