A dessert that is so good!
I like mixing and matching some recipes… this is one of those recipes. You see my sister had given me a recipe for peanut butter sauce (for ice cream) probably a couple of years ago and I have never made it. We actually don’t buy ice cream too much at our house, plus Mike doesn’t like peanut butter, so I had put the recipe in the recipe box and had all but forgotten it.
The other day I thought of this recipe and really wanted to make it for a family gathering, but I didn’t want to serve it with ice cream. My thought was to serve it with a frozen chocolate mousse or something along that line.
I was looking for recipes and couldn’t find anything that really tickled my fancy. Then I remember the chocolate semifreddo that I had made for a blogging challenge earlier in my blogging career and thought I would make that, but instead of placing it in one container I would separate into some smaller glasses that I have.
So not sure if it is still considered a semifreddo or just frozen custard. Anyway whatever you want to call this, it is pretty darn delicious.
If you have ever made a semifreddo you know it is a process to making it, it’s not that it is hard or anything like that it is just time consuming. But let me tell you it is worth every minute that you put into this dessert. Delicious!!
As I stated earlier I made this for a family dinner… it was funny because the dinner table had been buzzing, everyone was talking and laughing, but when this dessert was served and everyone started eating it there was a hush that came over the room. I guess everyone was just too busy digging into this dessert to strike up more conversation.
As I mentioned I served this as little individual desserts so that the non-peanut butter lovers could have their dessert just the way they wanted it. Of course I had mine with the peanut butter sauce and loved it. You can top it with a bit of whipped cream and chopped chocolate or you can change it up to suit your likes.
Mix and matching desserts can be so much fun and yummy all at the same time.
Individual Chocolate Semifreddo with Peanut Butter Sauce (Chocolate Semifreddo- source: Joy of Cooking Cookbook, Peanut Butter Sauce- source: unknown)
Chocolate Semifreddo Ingredients:
4 large eggs
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
1. Add the 4 large eggs in a bowl and beat with mixer on medium high for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the sugar and water to a small sauce pan and simmer over medium heat until the syrup is clear. With the mixer running on medium high slowly add the hot sugar syrup to the eggs, pouring it down the side of the bowl.
3.Return the egg mixture to the small sauce pan and place it over, not in, a sauce pan of simmering water and heat the egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling, to 160 degree, about 10 to 12 minutes,
4. Remove from heat and pour this mixture into a medium bowl and beat on high speed until light and fluffy and cooled to room temperature, about 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Gently fold in the melted chocolate and vanilla.
6. Once the chocolate has been folded in fold in the whipped cream. Pour into individual glass.
7. Freeze for about 6 hours.
Peanut butter sauce ingredients:
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 tablespoon butter
Dash of salt
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1. Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt, microwave 1 to 2 minutes until it boils stirring once.
2. Add the peanut butter, stir until smooth and stir in milk.
To finish the dessert:
1. Let set until just about room temperature and pour about 1 tablespoon or more if you like over the semifreddo.
4. Top with sweetened whipped cream and chopped chocolate if desired.