Honey Spiced Morning Cake is a lightly spiced moist cake that you can eat for breakfast. But don’t worry, just because it is called morning cake doesn’t mean that you cannot eat it at any time of the day.
One of the best things about this recipe besides tasting delicious is how simple it is to make. No need to get out the electric mixer, a wooden spoon can be used to whip this cake up.
The cake is topped with a brown butter frosting which goes perfectly with the hint of spices and honey that are in the cake. As I have mentioned the cake makes for a wonderful treat for breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea or as an afternoon snack with a cup of cold milk.
- I use a 9-inch springform pan for this recipe, don’t worry if you don’t have one. A 9-inch cake pan will also work for this recipe.
- Use ingredients that are at room temperature.
- Make sure to preheat the oven before baking the cake.
- Don’t overbeat the cake. Mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- Cool the cake completely, before you frost the cake.
- Store cake in an airtight container on the counter for 2 to 3 days.
- The cake freezes well. Make sure to freeze in an airtight container.
Steps for making Honey Spiced Morning Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a medium bowl.
In another bowl combine the melted butter, milk, eggs, honey, and vanilla.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix them together. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely.
Prepare the frosting. Once the cake is cooled drizzle frosting over the top of the cake.
Here are more breakfast recipes that you may enjoy:
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Black Raspberry Scones
- Apple Oatmeal Coffee Cake
- Carrot Muffins with Crumb Topping
If you make this honey spiced morning cake I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Honey Spiced Morning Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease a 9-inch spring-form pan.
- In another bowl combine the flour, sugar, and spices.
- In a small bowl melt the butter. Once the butter is melted add the eggs, honey, vanilla, and milk stir the ingredients until combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Pour into the prepared spring-form pan and place into the preheated oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or unit a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a cooling rack. While the cake is cooling prepare the frosting.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until the butter is lightly brown, stirring constantly so that the butter does not burn.
- Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar, and vanilla, Gradually add the heavy cream until you have the consistency for drizzling. Continue to beat by hand until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Make sure to use ingredients that are at room temperature.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix the dry and wet ingredients together. Make sure not to overbeat the cake. Mix until the ingredients are combined.
- If you don’t have a springform pan you can use a 9-inch cake pan.
- This cake can be stored on the counter in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
- This cake freezes well. Make sure to freeze in an airtight container.
This recipe was originally published on April 3, 2015. It has been updated with new content and pictures on May 19, 2022.