Ham and Potato Skillet a simple breakfast idea that is super easy to make and turns out to be a hearty breakfast to get you through the morning. This is made with frozen hash browns to make the recipe so simple to make.
As I have mentioned so many times on this blog I love breakfast! Which means I am always looking for new recipes for breakfast ideas. Another thing I say is that I love simplicity.
Breakfast does not have to be fancy, simple breakfast ideas can excite me just as much as something that is going to be complex. That is exactly why I love this recipe that I am featuring today. Simple, but so tasty!
- I use frozen hash browns for this recipe. The frozen potatoes make this recipe so much easier and faster. It’s on the table in no time at all.
- When adding the hash browns use a medium temperature. Too high of a temperature will brown the hash brown too quickly and may cause them to burn.
- Make sure to have enough oil in the skillet so that the potatoes don’t stick.
- A cast-iron works well for this making this breakfast.
- I love to serve this skillet with over-easy eggs. Yum!
Steps for making this Ham and Potato Skillet
Prepare the onions, green peppers, and ham. The onions and peppers should be chopped into small pieces. Cut the ham into small cubes.
Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Add the onions and peppers and saute until they start to get tender. Add the ham and continue to cook until the ham starts to brown.
Add additional oil to the skillet and add the frozen potatoes to the skillet. As the potatoes start to brown flip them over with a spatula.
Season the potatoes with salt to taste. Once the potatoes are brown to your liking remove from the heat and serve.
If you are a breakfast person like me you may like these recipes:
Ham and Potato Skillet
- 8 ounces ham cubed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 16 ounce frozen hash browns about 5 cups
- 5 tablespoons oil divided, you may need more
- salt to taste
- Chop the onions and pepper into small pieces. Cut the ham into small cubes
- In a 12-inch skillet add the 2 tablespoons of oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onions and the pepper and saute for about 4 to 6 minutes or until they start to get tender. Add the ham and continue to cook until the ham starts to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and add the hash browns.
- Use a metal spatula to flip the potatoes as they brown underneath. Cook the potatoes for about 7 minutes or until they are to your liking.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Use a medium heat when making the hash browns to avoid burning.
- Add additional oil if needed, so the potatoes don't stick.
- Use frozen potatoes to make a fast breakfast.