What is your favorite side dish for dinner? If you say pasta, I hope you will try this creamy garlic pasta dish.
Dinner is usually a rushed deal at our house. I am usually starving when I walk in the door and don’t want to have to wait forever for dinner. We occasionally buy the packets of pasta that come in a variety of flavors for a quick side. They are not bad; we actually kind of enjoy some of them. But then when you think of the foods that come packaged and what they have in them for ingredients, they turn out to be not so appealing.
So this has really got me thinking. I have been thinking about trying my own version of these packaged noodles.
I have made macaroni and cheese for ages and the family have always loved it. So I am no stranger to pasta and cream sauces. But normally I bake my macaroni and cheese, and I didn’t want a side dish that I had to bake. Hey, remember I am starving when I walk in the door from work so it wouldn’t work.
I have to admit I wasn’t sure if I could make a creamy pasta dish that would taste great without sticking it in the oven and baking it for a half an hour or so. Yeah, I have to admit I looked at a lot of recipes for no bake creamy pasta dishes before I decided on what I wanted to make.
I am happy to declare that this recipe is a success. Both my guys, Mike and Adam said that they liked this creamy garlic pasta better than any of the packaged pasta we have bought. Plus, it took me no more than 30 minutes from start to finish to having this dish on the table. Success… how sweet it is or, in this case, creamy garlic pasta.
- 8-ounces uncooked pasta (your favorite)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the direction on the box. Once is cooked drain and set aside.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of butter along with the flour. Stirring constantly until the butter and flour are combined and smooth.
- Gradually add the cream, stirring constantly. Once the cream is added, gradually add the milk. Turn the heat up to medium or medium-high. Bring the sauce to a boil and continue to cook until the sauce is starting to thicken. Add the parsley and Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat once the sauce is the consistency you desire.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir until the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.