Copycat KFC Coleslaw one of the best coleslaws that you can make. I have been making this recipe for my family over the years and it is a family favorite.
Summer is right around the corner and that means it is grilling season. And, with that said you need all the delicious side dishes to go with those grilled meats. I can’t think of a better side than a dish of tangy creamy coleslaw.
One of the things that I love about this dish that it is so simple to make and it comes together quickly. Also, this side dish will complement just about any meal that you make.
- Make sure that you have a cabbage that is tight compact head that looks crisp and has a few loose leaves.
- You will want to cut the core out of the bottom center of the head. The easiest way to do this is to cut the cabbage in half lengthwise (cutting through the core) and cut each half into half so that you have quarters. At this time you can easily cut the tough core out.
- Remove any wilted outer leaves and discard.
- There are several ways that you can shred the cabbage for the slaw. The fastest is using a food processor. You can use a box grater or a sharp knife will do the job as well.
- This can be made the day before. Actually I think it tastes better the next day.
- I like making this recipe with Miracle Whip, but you can use mayonnaise if you prefer. I like the flavor that the Miracle Whip gives to this recipe, but that is just my opinion.
Step for making Copycat KFC Coleslaw
Remove any leaves that are wilted. Cut the cabbage lengthwise through the core, cutting the cabbage into quarters. Cut out the core from the bottom of the head of cabbage.
Wash and dry the cabbage. If you are using a food processor you will want to cut the cabbage into pieces that fit the feed of the processor. Otherwise, shred the cabbage the way you want to.
Make the dressing. Add the Miracle Whip, oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt to a medium bowl. Beat the ingredients for 10 minutes, the dressing will be light and quite runny.
Add the dressing mixture to the cabbage and toss until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Variation for this recipe:
- Grate a carrot and add to the mix
- Purple cabbage can be added to give a little more color
- Add some grated onion for additional flavor
- Celery seed gives a nice flavor to this dish.
Look for additional side dishes? Check these out:
Copycat KFC Coleslaw
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Wash and dry the cabbage
- Shred the cabbage and set aside.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and Miracle Whip and mix together. Beat with an electric mixer for 10 minutes.
- Add the dressing to the shredded cabbage and toss until well combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Use a food processor for speeding up the process of shredding the cabbage.
- Remove the outer wilted leaves and the core before shredding the cabbage.
- This can be made the day before you will serve. In my opinion, it tastes better the second day.
- Add purple cabbage or carrots for more color.
This recipe was originally published on July 3, 2014. It has been updated with new content and pictures on May 18, 2020.