Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake is a decadent moist chocolate cake topped with chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. This chocolate cake is super easy to make and since it is topped with chocolate chips and nuts there is no need to add frosting.
I am excited to share this cake recipe. It is one of my all-time favorite chocolate recipes. When you eat this cake you would never guess that there is zucchini it. But the zucchini adds to the moist texture of the cake.
Who would ever think that adding a vegetable to a dessert would be a good thing?
If you make this cake I am sure you will enjoy every bite of it and you may have a hard time not reaching for a second piece.
- There is no need to peel the zucchini. The skin of the zucchini is thin and soft, you will never notice it in the cake.
- To grate the zucchini, I find that a box grater is one of the best ways to do this. The recipe only calls for one cup of grated zucchini so it takes very little time.
- No need to squeeze out the extra liquid in the zucchini.
- As always with baking, you will want to have your ingredients at room temperature. So make sure to plan ahead.
- You don’t need to use cake flour for this recipe, all-purpose is just fine.
- To check for doneness insert a wooden pick into the center of the cake, if it comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs it is done. Avoid inserting the wooden pick into a chocolate chip make sure that the pick goes into the cake only.
- Another sign that the cake is done is if the side of the cake is pulling away from the side of the baking pan.
- Cool the caked completely in the baking pan. Place the cake on a cooling rack until cooled.
- The cake can be stored on the counter, no need to store in the refrigerator.
- This cake can be frozen for a later date, for up to 2 months.
Steps for making Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9-inch baking pan.
Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, set aside for now. In a medium bowl add the sugar and the butter. With an electric mixer beat until creamy.
Add the eggs and mix them in. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla.
Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat until well blended. Add the zucchini and fold in.
Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and walnut over the top of the batter.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Insert a wooden pick in the middle of the cake avoiding the chocolate chips, if the pick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs it is down. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
Check out these additional chocolate dessert recipes:
Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the sugar and butter. With an electric mixer beat until fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in with the electric mixer.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cake batter and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the zucchini until it is well blended.
- Spread in the prepared baking pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Using a wooden pick insert in the middle of the cake if the pick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Use ingredients that are room temperature.
- No need to peel the zucchini. The skin of the zucchini is thin and you will not notice it.
- You do not have to squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini. It will help make the cake moist.
- All-purpose flour works great for this recipe, no need to use cake flour.
- This cake can be frozen for one to two months. Make sure to have it in an airtight freezer container.