Chocolate Mousse Pie a decadent chocolate pie that is light and fluffy and so simple to make with just a few ingredients. The perfect dessert for after any meal that no one will be able to resist.
I like to make the chocolate mousse pie when the kids come home to visit, that way I am not eating the whole pie by myself. This is the type of pie I really have a hard time to resist, I love anything chocolate. With the kids around I know that I don’t have to worry that they will eat every last bite.
One of my favorite things about making this pie is just how simple it is to make. I like making it with a graham cracker crust, but I have had it with a pie crust and it is just as tasty. The filling is a no-bake filling that takes minutes to make. Although it should be refrigerated for several hours to set up. That may be the hardest thing about this recipe, the wait.
- Graham Crackers
- Whipping cream
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- When making the crust use butter. I like using salted butter. After baking the crust make sure to cool completely before adding the filling.
- To press the crust into the pan you can use your fingertips, but I find that a measuring cup works better.
- Usually, when baking baked goods/sweets you want your ingredients to be at room temperature. The filling for this pie is just the opposite. You will want to have the whipping cream to be cold. It doesn’t hurt to chill the bowl and beater in the refrigerator as well before you whip the cream.
- Use good quality chocolate in the filling. I did use chocolate chips, but I used Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips in this recipe.
- As I mentioned I used milk chocolate in this recipe, but if you want a deeper flavor of chocolate use semi-sweet chocolate or even dark chocolate.
- Sometimes the graham cracker crust likes to stick to the pie plate, to help with removing the slices set the pie plate in some warm water for a few minutes.
- You can serve the pie with sweetened whipped topping if desired, but it’s yummy on its own.
Steps to make Chocolate Mousse Pie:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F for the pie crust.
If making your own your graham cracker crumbs it will take about 8 to 9 sleeves to make 1 1/4 cup that you need. Use a food processor or put the crackers in a zip-lock bag along with a rolling pin to crush the crackers into fine crumbs.
Add the melted butter and sugar to the crumbs and mix well. Using your fingertips or a measuring spoon press the crust firmly into the pie pan. Bake the crust in the preheated oven. Remove when it is done and cool completely on a cooling rack.
Bring 1/2 cup of the whipping cream to a simmer. Remove from the heat and add 1 cup of the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate to the cream. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes, then stir the mixture until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
Add the melted chocolate and cream to the whipped cream, gently fold in until it is combined completely.
Spread the filling to the cooled graham cracker crust. Set in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
Chop 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and sprinkle over the top of the pie. Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Looking for other easy dessert recipes? Take a look at these:
Chocolate Mousse Pie
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In the pie plate combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Using your fingertips or a measuring cup press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake the graham cracker crust in the preheated oven for 6 to 9 minutes. Once the edges of the crust are lightly brown remove from the oven and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- In a small saucepan add 1/2 cup of the cream and bring it to a simmer (just before it boils). Add the 1 cup of the chocolate chips and cover for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream. With an electric mixer beat until the cream starts to thicken. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Add the melted chocolate and fold until the chocolate and whipped cream are combined.
- Spread in the cooled graham cracker crust. Set in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Chop the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and sprinkle over top of the pie.
- Continue to refrigerate until serving.
- Make sure the whipping cream is cold before whipping.
- Place the bowl and the beater in the refrigerator to chill before making the whipped cream.
- Use good quality chocolate for best results.
- Set the pie in warm water for easier removing of the slices of pie.
- The pie can be frozen before serving for a firmer pie.
This recipe was originally published on January 17, 2012. It has been updated with new content and pictures on January 30, 2020.