Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars a sweet treat that is over the top delicious. A simple bar recipe that is easy to make and something that you will make over and over again.
These bars have a buttery crumbly crust topped with tangy cream cheese with chocolate chips, then topped with more chocolate chips that are melted, and then topped with chopped nuts. You really can’t go wrong with them.
As I always say on this blog I love simple recipes. This recipe is just that, nothing fancy at all about these bars, but they are so good. I love the combination of the chocolate with the tangy cream cheese.
Believe me when I say that these don’t last long when I make them. This is a family favorite and I am hoping that soon it will be your family favorite, too.
- I know that I sound like a broken record when saying this, but make sure that your ingredients are at room temperature.
- Beat the cream cheese until fluffy before adding the sugar, this will help prevent the cream cheese from getting lumpy.
- The recipe calls for milk chocolate chips, but feel free to use semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips. I like the flavor of the milk chocolate with cream cheese.
- One of the biggest questions when baking desserts is to know when to take them out of the oven. For this recipe, once the cream cheese starts to brown slightly you know that it is time to remove them from the oven.
- To melt the chocolate chips that are on top of the bars easily, simply sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the bars and set them back in the oven for about a minute. This helps the chocolate chips soften quickly and they are so much easier to spread.
- For best results cool the bars completely before you cut them. They will come out of the pan easily and will not fall apart.
- For storage, I would recommend that you keep these in the refrigerator. With the cream cheese filling it is the safest way to store them.
Steps for making Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
In a large mixing combine the flour, brown sugar, and butter, mix together with an electric mixer or by hand.
Pat this into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
While the crust is baking mix together the cream cheese filling. In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
Add the sugar and beat in. Add the egg and the vanilla and mix in. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Once the crust is baked, remove it from the oven. Spread the cream cheese mixture over top of the baked crust.
Place back in the oven and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the cream cheese is set and lightly browned.
Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the bars. Place back in the oven for about another minute. Spread the chocolate chips over the top of the bars. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the chocolate while it is still hot.
Looking for more easy dessert recipes? Check out these recipes:
If you make these Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cups butter softened
- 12 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or your favorite
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, and butter, with an electric mixer on medium speed mix until well combined.
- Add the mixture and pat it into the bottom of the baking pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the cream cheese filling
- In a medium bowl add the cream cheese, with an electric mixer beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and mix in until well blended. Add the egg and vanilla and mix just until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Once the crust is done baking, spread the cream cheese filling over top of the baked crust.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the center of the cream cheese is set and starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the bars. Place back in the oven for about a minute or until the chocolate chips soften,
- Remove from the oven and spread the softened chocolate chips over the bars. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over top of the bars. Cool completely before cutting.
- As always make sure that you have your ingredients at room temperature. The butter will not mix in well if it is hard.
- Beat the cream cheese before adding the sugar to help prevent the mixture from becoming lumpy.
- Cool the bars completely before cutting them. The bars are quite soft when they come out of the oven and will fall apart if cut too soon.
- Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.