Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich is loaded with tender pieces of chicken breast, melted provolone cheese, sauteed onions along with red and green peppers. You won’t go hungry with this sandwich.
This time of the year when it is a good thing to have some easy recipes that you can fall back on. This recipe comes together fast and is delicious to the last bite. Serve it on your favorite bun with a little fruit on the side and you are set.
There is something about a sandwich that is filled with tender meat, onions, peppers, and a lot of cheese. I have always loved a classic Philly cheesesteak sandwich and this one with the chicken every bit as good.
- Chicken breast works well for this sandwich.
- Cut the chicken strips thin. This way they fry up fast and are nice and tender.
- Don’t overcook the chicken strips, overcooking will cause you to have dry chicken.
- I like using green and red peppers for this sandwich for the flavor and the color that they give.
- Cut the veggies up the day before to save time.
- I love adding sauteed mushrooms to this sandwich too.
- Cover the skillet after putting the cheese on the meat and veggies, it helps the cheese to melt a lot faster.
Steps to make this Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
Slice the chicken and add seasonings and mix until the chicken is coated, set aside.
Add olive oil to skillet and heat over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot add the sliced green peppers, red peppers, and onions. Cook for about 15 minutes or until tender.
Remove the pepper and onions from the skillet. Add one more tablespoon of olive oil and add the chicken pieces. Saute chicken for 5 to 8 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
Once the chicken is done add the peppers and onions back to the skillet and heat. Once everything is hot. Cover the mixture with the cheese slices. Put a cover on the skillet and let the cheese melt.
Place the chicken mixture on buns and serve.
Here are additional easy recipes to check out:
Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast sliced thin
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large green pepper sliced thin
- 1 large red pepper sliced thin
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 5 hoagie buns
- Mix the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper together. Add it to the sliced chicken and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat. Once the oil is hot add the sliced green peppers, red peppers, and onions, saute until they are tender about 15 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and onions from the skillet. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chicken and saute for 5 to 8 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add the peppers and onions back to the skillet and heat until they are heated.
- Place the cheese slices on top of the vegetables and chicken. Cover the skillet and heat until the cheese is melted.
- Scoop the vegetables, chicken, and melted cheese onto buns. Serve
- Slice the chicken, green peppers, red peppers, and onions thin.
- Chicken breast works well for this recipe, but if you prefer you can use boneless chicken thighs.
- Watch the chicken closely, do not overcook. Overcooking will result in dry chicken.
- Mushrooms can be added to the skillet when sauteing the peppers and onions. They make a great addition.
- Serve on your favorite bun.