Chicken Nachos are great as an appetizer, to serve on game day, or to have at a family gathering. They are super simple to make and you can add as many or as few toppings as you like.
I have always been a chip kind of person, no matter if is potato chips or corn chips. So this recipe is one of my favorites. If you are a chip lover like me how could you not love these nachos?
There is a ton of melty cheese with seasoned chicken and all your favorite toppings. That is one of the things I love about this recipe you can add as much or as little topping. Choose your favorites and pile them high for a delicious feast of an appetizer.
- I like making nachos in a cast-iron skillet. The cast-iron heats evenly so that the cheese will melt evenly. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet don’t worry a baking sheet will work fine too.
- When adding toppings to the nachos before baking them, avoid toppings that are liquidy, such as salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.
- I feel that baking nacho is a better choice than putting them under the broiler. Bake them at 350 to 400 degrees until the cheese is nicely melted. Baking the nacho will meld the ingredients together, while broiling will basically melt the cheese fast.
- What is the best cheese for nachos? My first pick is cheddar, but any good melting cheese will work. Cheeses as American cheese, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, mozzarella are just a few that work well when making nachos.
- Make sure that the chip that you choose is a sturdy one that can hold up to all of that melted cheese and other toppings.
- If you don’t like the idea of shredded chicken with nachos switch it up with ground beef or pulled pork.
- For topping use, your favorites such as chopped tomatoes, avocados, peppers, green onions, black beans, or what you like.
Steps for making Chicken Nachos
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the chicken breast. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink inside. The time will depend on the size of the chicken breast.
Once the chicken is done cooking remove it from the skillet and with two forks shred it into bite-size pieces.
Place it back in the skillet and add the seasoning and the chicken broth. Over medium heat let the chicken and seasoning blend together for 2 to 3 minutes.
In another cast-iron skillet place a layer of tortilla chips using 1/3 of the chips. Top the layer of chips with 1/3 of the chicken and the cheddar cheese. Repeat these steps two more times, so that there are three layers of the chips, chicken, and cheese.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the cheese is melted about 5 to 15 minutes. Serve.
Looking for more recipes to serve as appetizers? Check these out:
If you make these Chicken Nachos I would love to hear about it! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 10 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 pound cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 large chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cubed avocado
- 1/2 medium chopped green pepper
- Additional topping of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the seasoning together and set aside
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Once the oil is heated add the chicken breast and cook until no longer pink inside. Time will vary depending on the size of the chicken breast.
- Once the chicken breasts are cooked remove the chicken from the skillet. Using two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and add the chicken broth and seasoning. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes to blend the flavors.
- In another cast-iron skillet place a layer of the tortilla chips using 1/3 of the chips. Top the layer of chips with 1/3 of the chicken and then the cheese. Repeat these steps two more times so that there are three layers
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 5 to 15 minutes or until is melted. Add your favorite toppings and serve.
- If you don't have a cast-iron skillet a rimmed sheet pan can be used.
- Use a good melting cheese, such as cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, or your favorite cheese that melts well.
- Use chips that are sturdy that can handle the toppings.
- Serve right away.