Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is a creamy cheesy chicken dish that is the perfect comfort food. This is a meal in itself with chicken, rice, and broccoli, it’s so good.
I grew up eating comfort food such as casseroles. Goulash was a favorite when I was a kid and still is my all-time favorite. Nothing beats a simple delicious casserole.
I think it may be a Midwestern thing when it comes to dishes like this. Some people call the state of Minnesota the hotdish state. For those of you not familiar with that term hotdish that is what midwesterners call casseroles.
- Make sure to fully cook the chicken before adding it to this dish. The amount of time that this recipe is in the oven may not be sufficient to cook chicken that is raw when adding to the other ingredients
- Cook the rice before adding it to the other ingredients, this will cut down the baking time.
- Cut the broccoli into small bite-size pieces to ensure that it cooks through during the baking time.
- The casserole can be reheated in the oven until it is heated through. If you are reheating it in the oven cover the dish with aluminum foil to prevent too much moisture loss.
Steps for making Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Add butter and chopped onions to a large skillet. Over medium heat cook until the onions are tender about 5 minutes
Add 3 tablespoons of flour and stir in. Cook for about one minute.
Add the chicken broth and milk. Turn up the heat slightly and bring to a boil. Cook until the white sauce starts to thicken.
Add the cheese and sour cream and stir until the cheese is melted and the sour cream is mixed in.
Add the cooked rice, cooked chicken, and the broccoli to the sauce and stir in.
Pour the ingredients into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and add the remaining cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in an oven that is preheated to 375.
Remove from the oven and serve.
For other easy meal recipes check out these:
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken cut into bite sizes
- 2 cups broccoli cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the package. When done set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet add the butter and chopped onions. Cook over medium heat until the onions are tender about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir in, cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the milk and chicken broth, increase the heat slightly, and cook until the sauce starts to thicken. Once the sauce starts to thicken reduce heat back to medium.
- Add 2 cups of the cheddar cheese and sour cream and stir until the cheese is melted and the sour cream is mixed in.
- Add the cooked chicken, cooked rice, and broccoli and stir in. Transfer to a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes. The sides of the casserole should be bubbling.
- Use cooked chicken for this recipe. The baking time for this recipe may not be sufficient to cook raw chicken completely
- Use cooked rice to cut down the cooking time.
- Leftovers can be heated in the microwave to the desired temperature. If reheating in the oven cover with aluminum foil to prevent the casserole from becoming too dry.