Cheese Tortellini with Chicken and Broccoli, an easy comfort food dish, made with cheese tortellini, chicken, broccoli it all comes together in a garlic butter basil lemon sauce.
Cheese tortellini with chicken and broccoli a meal that comes together in less than an hour. This dish fills your house with the most amazing aroma. I love the smell of the lemon and basil as they cook.
We started buying tortellini when our kids were teenagers. I can my own spaghetti sauce each year, so they would like to cook up a helping of tortellini and smother it in spaghetti sauce for a quick weekend lunch. I think they still enjoy this simple lunch.
Over the years I have tried a few recipes with this cheesy pasta. My latest on being this cheese tortellini with chicken and broccoli dish. It’s a simple dish with loads of flavor. I love the flavor of the garlic, lemon and basil combination.
What is Tortellini?
A pasta that is shaped in small rings and is usually filled with cheese or meat. It is usually served in soups or with a sauce.
How do you know when tortellini is done cooking?
When the tortellini is floating on top of the water you know that it is done.
I have more pasta recipes on my blog. Take a look at these:
- Cherry Tomato Basil Angel Hair Pasta
- One Pot Garlic Shrimp and Pasta
- Cold Parmesan Cheese Pasta Salad
Cheese Tortellini with Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast cut into bite sizes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pound cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Heat water in a pan and bring to water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until fork tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Cook the tortellini according to the directions on the package.
- While the tortellini is cooking prepare the sauce for the dish. In a large skillet melt the butter. Add the garlic and basil cook for a minute or two until the garlic softened.
- Mix the cornstarch with chicken broth. Add the broth to the skillet and bring to a boil and cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the lemon zest and stir in.
- Stir in the tortellini, chicken, and broccoli and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, so to warm the chicken and broccoli. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir in. Season with salt if needed.