Broccoli Cheese Soup is a soup that is choked full of broccoli in a creamy cheese base soup. It is a simple soup that is so easy to make you will be making it over and over again.
With spring finally here, I know many of you are starting to think of lighter recipes, but there are still cool/cold days ahead where a hot bowl of soup will be a welcomed meal.
My mom gave me a recipe for broccoli cheese soup sometime ago, she has made this soup often and she wanted to share it with me, knowing how I enjoy soups.
At first, I stuck the recipe in my recipe box and forgot about it. But, one day I saw the recipe as I was going through my recipes. I decided to make it and now it is one of my favorite broccoli soup recipes.
I love how easy and quick this soup is to make, and I am sure that you will love it too.
- I like a lot of broccoli in my cheese soup, but if you would like less broccoli in this soup that works too. I have made it with two cups of broccoli instead of the three that I added to this one and it is just as delicious.
- This recipe calls for chicken bouillon cubes if you prefer you can use chicken broth to cook the broccoli in.
- Use an immersible blender to chop up the broccoli after it cooks for this soup. Don’t worry if you don’t have the broccoli chopped fine, so larger pieces give the soup some texture.
- If you don’t have an immersible blender that is fine, just cut the broccoli into smaller pieces before you cook it for the soup.
- This soup can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- If you have more soup than you can eat in three days you can freeze this soup. Use an airtight container or freezer bags work well.
Step for making Broccoli Cheese Soup
Cut the broccoli into small pieces and add to a medium saucepan. Add the 1 1/2 cups of water and cook the broccoli until tender.
While the broccoli is cooking start the base of the soup. Add the onion and butter to a large skillet and cook until the onion is tender.
Once the onion is tender add the flour and pepper to the skillet. Stir in until the flour is combined with the butter and onions. Cook for about a minute.
Slowly add the milk to the skillet stirring constantly. Add the bullion cubes. Turn up the heat slightly and bring the soup to a boil, cook until the soup begins to thicken.
Add the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
Once the broccoli is done cooking use the immersible blender and chop up the broccoli.
Add the broccoli and water to the soup and mix until well combined. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Serve.
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out these delicious soup recipes:
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 to 3 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Cut the broccoli into small pieces. Add to a medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups of water. Cook until tender about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the broccoli is cooking start the soup base. Add the butter and onion to a large skillet.
- Cook the onion over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes until it is tender.
- Add the flour and pepper to the skillet and stir until well combined. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk stirring constantly. Cook until the soup base begins to thicken slightly.
- Turn the heat back to medium and add the cheese and bouillon cubes and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Once the broccoli is tender remove from the heat do not remove the water. With an immersible blender chop the broccoli leaving a few larger pieces.
- Add the broccoli and the water to the soup and blend in. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Serve.
- Use 2 cups of broccoli if you prefer less broccoli in the soup. If you like a soup filled with broccoli use 3 cups.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If you would like to freeze this soup. Place it in a freezer airtight container or a freezer bag.
This recipe was originally published on August 31, 2012. It has been updated with new content and pictures on April 20, 2020.