Banana Blueberry Scones and a simple scone with a hint of banana flavor and bursting with blueberries. These simple scones are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack when you are in a hurry.
Not only do I love eating scones, but I love making them just as much. My family also loves eating scones as much as I do. I love the little joys in life and scone is one of them.
I like using blueberries in scones, I seem to do that a lot. For this scone, the banana gives a scone a touch of the banana flavor it’s not overpowering. The banana and the blueberry combination works well.
- As for scones, you will want the butter to be cold for this recipe. Make sure to cut the butter into small pieces, it will make it easier to work into the flour mixture.
- Don’t worry if your banana is overripe. The riper the banana the more flavorful the scones will be.
- The dough for this recipe is a little crumbly. Place the dough on a floured surface and gently press the dough to make a circle.
- The best way to cut the scones into wedges is by using a pizza cutter. It makes the process of cutting the wedges super simple
- These scones are baked for 20 to 25 minutes, but the best way to know when they are done is when the edges of the scones start to turn lightly brown.
- It is best to eat the scones when they are fresh, but if you are not able to eat all of them, they do freeze well. Make sure to use an airtight container.
Steps for Making Banana Blueberry Scones
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the banana and sour cream, mix until combined.
Gently fold in the blueberries.
On a lightly floured surface form the dough into a 7-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
Place the scone on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges of the scones are lightly browned.
More scone recipes:
If you make these banana blueberry scones I would love to hear about them! Please leave me a comment and a rating.
Banana Blueberry Scones
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the sour cream and mashed bananas to the flour mixture, mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- On a lightly floured surface form the dough into a 7-inch circle. With a pizza cutter cut the circle into 8 wedges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges of the scones are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- As with any scone recipe use butter that is cold.
- Cut the butter into small pieces to make it easier to work into the flour mixture.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the scones into wedges. This works great.
- Don't worry if your bananas are overripe, they will give the scone more flavor.
- The scones are best if eaten fresh. But if you like they will freeze well. Make sure to use an airtight container.
This recipe was originally published on February 2, 2012. It has been updated with new content and pictures on February 10 2022.