Baked mashed potatoes… simple to make… and so darn yummy!
We celebrated another birthday this past weekend; it was our son-in-law Doug’s birthday. I think that our kids and in-law-kids really enjoy these birthday dinners. They get to choose what they would like to eat for the dinner and I go and find recipes to try and make the meal enjoyable.
I think I enjoy planning the dinner as much I enjoy preparing the food, oh and the best part is seeing everybody enjoying the food. Yes, to see everyone gobbling down the food is probably the best… I love it.
Well my son-in-law loves mashed potatoes; it is on his menu every year. After seeing several recipes for baked mashed potatoes I decided to try these for the celebration. I knew what flavors I wanted to incorporate into the baked mashed potatoes so I made my own recipe.
I was sitting next to my son-in-law as we ate dinner and he told me that these were the best mashed potatoes he had ever eaten. You can’t get a better compliment than that. Too bad my pictures didn’t turn out better.
Baked Mashed Potatoes with Monterey Jack Cheese
4 pounds potatoes, Russet are a good potato to use
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 small onion
3 clove garlic
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream (this is optional)
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
Salt to taste
1. Peel potatoes and place in large kettle with water and salt (to taste). Cook potatoes over medium heat until they are fork tender.
2. While the potatoes are cooking take the onion and garlic and add to a food processor a mini one works well. Process until onion and garlic are finely chopped and set aside.
3. Once they are tender drain water place in a colander and let set for a bit so water is completely drained. Place the drained potatoes in a large bowl and use an electric mixer or potato masher and mash potatoes.
4. Add the sour cream, onion, butter, heavy cream (optional) and blend until smooth. Stir in cheese until well blended. Add additional salt if needed and blend in.
5. Butter a shallow baking dish, place the potatoes in the baking dish, and place into oven that is preheated to 350 F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, just so the potatoes are starting to brown.
6. Serve and enjoy.