Baked Chicken Spaghetti is a simple delicious dinner idea that the whole family is going to love. Really, I have yet to meet someone that doesn’t love a great plate of spaghetti, that includes my family as well.
My family has always loved spaghetti. Classic recipes are always great, but there are times when I like to shake things up with favorite recipes. This baked chicken spaghetti is one of them. With this recipe, chicken replaces the ground beef and it is baked in the oven.
Baked chicken spaghetti is simple to make and you will probably have all or most of the ingredients in your pantry right now.
Can you freeze baked chicken spaghetti?
Yes, you can freeze this baked chicken spaghetti. It actually freezes really well. The best way to freeze this is to cut into individual size pieces and put into an airtight freezer container.
When you want to serve the spaghetti you can take it out of the freezer the night before serving to thaw it completely. Just put in an ovenproof baking dish and bake until heated through at 350 degrees F. The time will depend on the amount that is being reheated. You can also reheat in the microwave if you are in a hurry. Once again heating time will depend on the amount that is being heated.
If you don’t have time to defrost the spaghetti, no problem. If heating in the oven, turn the temperature down to about 300 degrees F until heated through. If in a hurry this can be heated in the microwave. Watch closely and heat until heated through.
What to serve with baked chicken spaghetti?
Easy Garlic Toast: garlic toast is always perfect with spaghetti. This one is so simple and quick to make.
Glazed Fruit Salad: fruit salad is always a great side. It really goes with just about anything.
Summer Salad: Fresh vegetable salads or lettuce go great with pasta.
To make baked chicken spaghetti start with cooking the green peppers, garlic, and onions. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium heat, add the green peppers, garlic, and onions, saute until they start to get tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. While the vegetables are cooking, cook the spaghetti using the direction on the box less 2 minutes.
Once the vegetables are tender add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, and parsley, stir until well blended.
Add in the chicken, 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan Cheese mix until the cheese is melted. Stir in the spaghetti and pour into a 9 by 13 baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
If you like pasta dishes take a look at these recipes:
Stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Baked Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 pound cooked chicken cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 24 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 8 ounces cooked spaghetti noodles see notes
- Cook the spaghetti according to the directions, less 2 minutes
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, green peppers, and garlic. Saute until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 10 minutes
- Once the vegetables are tender stir in the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Add the oregano, basil, and the parsley and stir in.
- Mix in 16 ounces (2 cups) mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is mostly melted.
- Add the cooked chicken and stir in.
- Toss in the cooked spaghetti noodles.
- Pour into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Place in an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minute or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned over top.
- Cook the spaghetti 2 minutes less than what the box instructions list
- Make sure to drain the spaghetti thoroughly.
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces.
A wonderful weekday meal for the whole family!
David @ Spiced
Oh man, I haven’t had baked spaghetti in years! My Mom used to make extra spaghetti on the first night and then bake it for leftovers. It was so good! Now I’m craving a good batch of baked spaghetti for sure. Love this recipe, Dawn!
Ok…I made this and it was pretty dang good! That said, your recipe, ingredients and instructions are wrong! First up, the onions. You don’t even have onions listed as an ingredient. I just took a screen grab of the ingredients list to the store and when I got home I didn’t have any onions because you didn’t list them. Not only that, but you never even mention how much onion to add. Half, whole? Next, you never even mention CHICKEN in the recipe instructions! Where and when was I supposed to add the chicken? That kind of feels like an important step to me. Finally, it would have been helpful to know beforehand that I was going to need an extra large skillet to prepare this dish. I should have known that 10 servings of spaghetti was going to be way more than a normal skillet could manage. I give your recipe 5 *s but have to take one * away for the bad instructions/ingredient list.
Hi Steve, I happy that you liked the recipe!! I am so sorry that the instructions and ingredients were missing some steps. I will go back and fix that.