Cinnamon and Orange… a lovely combination.
I have been experimenting a bit with flavor combinations. My latest is orange and cinnamon. You may be saying dah, where have you been, orange and cinnamon are totally a great combination. Well yeah, now I know. I wish someone would have told me sooner.
I made these for Sunday morning when a couple of our kids were staying overnight. We don’t see our son Jon too often so it is fun to make things that I know that he enjoys. When I told him that I was making scones for Sunday morning, he wanted to know what kind I was making.
When I told him about my new love of orange and cinnamon, I could hear the skepticism in his voice. It took only one bite and I knew that he would be hooked forever on my “new flavor combination” too.
The scones have bits of orange throughout the scones and the cinnamon brings the whole thing together. The outside of each scone has a bit of a crunch to it and the center is nice and tender.
I have some other flavor combinations up my sleeve that I will be trying soon.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1⅓ cup powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon butter, soften
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup orange sections, chopped
- In a large bow combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt, mix until blended. With a pastry cutter or fork cut in the butter until you have a crumbly mixture.
- In another bowl combine the egg and the milk. Add this to your flour mixture. By hand work the dough until it comes together. Form into a 8 to 9 inch circle and cut into 8 triangles. I use a pizza cutter, it works great, but you can use a knife if that is preferred.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 17 to 19 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack until cooled completely.
- While the scones are cooling mix the icing together. In a small to medium bowl add all the ingredients, except the milk and blend together. Slowly add the milk beating until smooth and the right consistency for drizzling.