Sour cream rhubarb and strawberry pie
My mom gave me a piece of her rhubarb plant so we could plant it in our garden and have our own rhubarb. This was quite a few years ago, it is amazing to see how big it has gotten over the years. It was just a few weeks ago that we noticed it was peeping out of the ground this year and now we have rhubarb coming out of our ears.
Mike and I really love rhubarb, but I don’t have too many recipes that I make with it. With all the rhubarb that we have in the garden this year I have been on a mission to try new recipes. One thing that I have never made with rhubarb before is pie, so I attempted my first rhubarb pie over the weekend.
I decided to throw in some strawberries with the rhubarb, since I have always heard that they make a great combination. I wanted a custard type pie and after looking at several recipes I decided to change up a sour cream apple pie (that we love) and use rhubarb and strawberries instead of the apples that I usually make with this recipe.
The pie turns out to have a nice creamy custard base to it and we love the flavor of the rhubarb and strawberries in the pie. A great dessert to end any meal.
Sour Cream Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie
1 unbaked pie shell, homemade or you can buy one
2 1/2 cups rhubarb thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups strawberries thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2 Sift dry ingredients together. Combine the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla, add to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
3. Add the rhubarb and strawberries to the sour cream mixture and mix well.
4. Pour into the pie shell. Place in the preheat oven for 15 minutes.
5. While the pie is baking for the 15 minutes make your crumb topping. Mix the flour, sugar, and butter and mix well.
6. Once the pie has baked for 15 minutes remove from oven and reduce temperature down to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the pie and return to the oven.
7. Bake for another 30 minutes or until crumb topping is lightly brown and center of pie is firm.
8. Cool completely. Store any remaining pie in the refrigerator.
Linking up to: