A summer berry dessert… that will make your taste buds so happy!
Even though my heart belongs to chocolate and my taste buds too, I do have to say that I love to throw in a fruit dessert here and there. Actually I love to bake with the summer fruits.
When I was looking for a fruit dessert for Sunday dinner I had my heart set on trying a berry tart, but then I saw this recipe for raspberry buckle and the tart seemed to slip my mind. I have seen recipes for buckles, but I don’t believe I have ever made one or even tasted one.
It is a darn right shame that I haven’t tried one of these buckles before this weekend. The buttery soft cake and berries make for one heck of a yummy dessert.
Instead of the raspberries I substituted strawberries and blueberries. I love combining strawberries and blueberries, I think that they complement each other very nicely.
If you have any leftover… if that possibly could happen… this dessert gets just a little moister. I love it with a dollop of sweetened whip cream so simple, but so tasty.
If you haven’t made a fruit buckle before I strongly encourage you to do so, you won’t be sorry.
Mixed Berry Buckle (Source: adapted from marthastewart.com)
1/2 cup butter, plus more for baking dish
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour,
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/ 2 cup thinly sliced strawberries
1 1/4 cup blueberries
Powder sugar for dusting (optional)
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition to combine.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder; with mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture until blended.
4. Spread the batter in baking dish. Scatter berries on over the top of the dough. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean and top is golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Let cool 20 minutes; dust with powder sugar, if desired.
6. Serve with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream is desired.