To be honest I have never been a real big fan of mac and cheese, but my guys love it. With the cool weather and wanting to make some comfort food, I decided to make mac and cheese, but change it up just a bit.
I found a recipe that I thought my guys would enjoy. The mac and cheese is layered with ground hamburger, so it ends up being a meal in itself. Bread crumbs are sprinkled on top, the recipe called for soft bread crumbs, I used the bread crumbs that I had purchased. I think the soft bread crumbs would be better.
When I make this again I think I will omit the bread crumbs and add addition cheese. My guys like their mac and cheese with a bit of baked crusty cheese on top, but you can make it to your preference. What is your favorite mac and cheese recipe? I am always looking for new ways to make it and who knows I may become a fan of this dish too.
Layered Mac and Cheese with Ground Beef (Source: adapted from bettycrocker.com)
2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni
1 pound lean ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of chicken broth
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 to 1/3 cup bread crumbs (or 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs about 1 slice of bread)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart casserole with cooking spray. Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package.
2. Meanwhile, in skillet cook beef, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain if desired.
3. In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in milk; cook for 5 to 6 minutes; stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly. Stir in broth, remove from heat; stir in cheese. Fold in the cooked macaroni.
4. Spoon 1/3 of the macaroni mixture (about 1 1/3 cups) into the casserole; top with half of the beef (about 1 1/2 cups). Layer with another 1/3 of the macaroni mixture, remaining beef and remaining
macaroni mixture. Top with bread crumbs or omit the bread crumbs and add additional shredded cheese.
5. Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minute.