Chocolate chip muffins with a granola topping…yum!
Life has been busy. Celebrations right and left. We celebrated our youngest son’s birthday this past weekend. He turned 22 years old. I can’t believe how my life is passing before my eyes. As I have mentioned I love these celebrations.
With our new grandson we will have another birthday to celebrate in the springtime. As the family grows I am not quite sure how we will find time to fit all the celebrations into our lives. Oh, I am sure we will find away to do that.
For now I need to talk about these chocolate chip granola topped muffins. As you may know I love my chocolate and these chocolate chip muffins fit the bill when it comes to one of chocolate cravings. But I wanted to up it a bit with the granola topping. Another one of my loves… granola with the oats, brown sugar, nuts, a touch of cinnamon.
Yes, the granola really made these muffins over the top for me. I love the combination of the granola and the chocolate, also the little sweetness that the granola brought was a plus. I really can’t think of a better way to start your day them with a chocolate chip granola topped muffin or maybe a midday snack.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup old fashion oats
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup melted butter cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- Granola - In a medium bowl add the brown sugar, oats, chopped nuts, and cinnamon mix together. Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Muffins - Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. To this mixture mix in the chocolate chips. In another bowl mix the ½ cup melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the dry mixture and mix just until blended. Line muffin tins with paper cups and fill about ¾ of the cup. Top with the granola mixture and with fingers press the granola lightly into the dough. Bake for 17 to 19 minutes until the muffins are lightly brown. Place on cooling racks for 2 or 3 minutes and remove the muffins from tins and set on cooling racks and cool completely.